Monday, September 24, 2012

WHAT DID YOU DO IN THE WAR, GRANDMA - GWEN AND CHUCK'S FIRST INTERVIEW

Gwen thought what happened in Vietnam stayed in Vietnam, until Chuck landed at her hospital forty years after she returned home carrying the child she never told him about.
GWEN’S FIRST INTERVIEW
1.)    You served as a MASH nurse in Vietnam. Is that where you and Chuck first met? Yes, it was. It was the ‘60’s and back home free love was everywhere. Chuck as well as many of the other doctors was out to score and I was just another notch on his belt. The worst day of my life was when I planned to tell him I was pregnant. Before I could say anything, he told me he’d received his orders to go home and return to his wife and kids. Talk about a kick in the gut.
2.)    How did you handle your condition when you returned to Minter? I told everyone I’d become engaged to a medic and we were planning to be married when he was killed while on a rescue mission and his chopper went down. I was blessed when my boyfriend from high school returned from service and agreed to marry me. Even though he wasn’t Chere’s biological father, he loved her more than anything. I was always up front with Chere about what I did in Vietnam, I just left out the part about her father being alive and well and raising his ‘real’ family in California.
3.)    Were you shocked when you found out Chuck was going to be heading up the free clinic at your hospital? I don’t think the right word is shocked. It was more like I was horrified. For the first time in forty years I had to think about telling my daughter the truth and breaking the news to Chuck that he was a father. The whole thing had be tied up in knots and to make matters worse I found out I still have feelings for Chuck.
CHUCK’S FIRST INTERVIEW
1.)    It sounds like you were quite the lover boy while you were in Vietnam. Did you tell your wife about your exploits? I wasn’t going to, but when I got home, I found out she’d been unfaithful too. She carried the evidence of her affair, but I forgave her. Little did I know I had another child because of my actions in Vietnam.
2.)    Didn’t the fact you were going to Minter WI send off any warning bells. I mean, that’s Gwen’s hometown. Weren’t you afraid you’d be running into her? I knew Gwen was from Wisconsin, but I never knew where. At the time we weren’t interested in minor details like that. The sex was what was on our minds.
3.)    Did you have any idea you were Chere’s father? I met her on the first day I was in the hospital. There’s wasn’t any doubt in my mind. She looks exactly like my own daughter. I just hope she can accept me. I’ve met her kids and already love all of them. Of course, I have to wait until Gwen is ready to tell me about Chere. In the meantime, I’m just glad I met up with Gwen again. I loved her in Vietnam and if things had ended differently for the two of us I would have divorced my wife and brought her to California to become my wife.

No comments:

Post a Comment